Small solar panel + ultracapacitor + zener why

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
MatteP
The Sun?
The Sun?

Small solar panel + ultracapacitor + zener why

Post by MatteP »

I am buliding a very small and low power "intermittent" sensor, powered by a tiny solar panel and an ultracapacitor. It works with a voltage from 1.9V to 3.3V, but the transmitted radio range greatly depends on it.
:hamster:
When I used an LDO voltage regulator I had to "target" a lower-than-necessary voltage for it to work properly. But having a constant voltage is not required in my case: I would better benefit from a higher power when the sun is shining a lot.

What are the tradeoff if I ditch the LDO regulator and I simply cap the maximum tension with a Zener diode as shown below?

I do not want the zener to draw energy while the circuit is idle, due to its leakage current. So I moved it "before" the usual schottky diode.

Also, I use a slightly higher zener value to compensate for the schottly voltage drop, so as to charge the cap to the maximum voltage that the circuit withstands.

Still, I have the weird feeling there is a drawback. Am I just too cautious?

Also, the tiny solar panel will probably not reach its dangerous 4V level when loaded. Actually, I could even wake the MCU up to keep a load when the tension is "too" high, but this is a riskier business I guess.

mike09
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Small solar panel + ultracapacitor + zener why

Post by mike09 »

MatteP wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:18 am I am buliding a very small and low power "intermittent" sensor, powered by a tiny solar panel Cleaning company and an ultracapacitor. It works with a voltage from 1.9V to 3.3V, but the transmitted radio range greatly depends on it. :hamster: When I used an LDO voltage regulator I had to "target" a lower-than-necessary voltage for it to work properly. But having a constant voltage is not required in my case: I would better benefit from a higher power when the sun is shining a lot.
What are the tradeoff if I ditch the LDO regulator and I simply cap the maximum tension with a Zener diode as shown below?
I do not want the zener to draw energy while the circuit is idle, due to its leakage current. So I moved it "before" the usual schottky diode.
Also, I use a slightly higher zener value to compensate for the schottly voltage drop, so as to charge the cap to the maximum voltage that the circuit withstands.
Still, I have the weird feeling there is a drawback. Am I just too cautious?

Also, the tiny solar panel will probably not reach its dangerous 4V level when loaded. Actually, I could even wake the MCU up to keep a load when the tension is "too" high, but this is a riskier business I guess.

Hello,
Thanks for the post.
I want to buy some Led lights but I don't know which type of Led lights are good for home??
Thanks In Advance.