Setup with HaT

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Setup with HaT

Post by fjabet »

Hello,

I was asked by PM what was the setup(s) I use with the HaT, so here it is with some pictures. Note that this is work in progress, but it will always be.

The big picture :

You can recognized the HaT that is based upon a C8 Edge HD. I may move to a C11 this year.
On the Hat stands the Solar Scintillation Monitor probe. The probe needs be to as close as possible to the telescope entrance to match the seeing that actually interest us. Then comes the telecentric amplifier. This comes with the HaT and brings the F/D to 27.5, and deliver a real telecentric output with field angle lower than 10E-2° at 656.28nm. It has really been designed for Ha.
It is possible to increase the F/D by adding a spacer between the HaT and the telecentric. This is possible up to 50mm.
Then I use three different combinaisons of filters : Daystar, PST and Lunt

The telecentric offers a tiltable cell at is entrance. This is the place I use for prefiltering as the sun's size here is only 19mm. The free aperture of the telecentric first lens is 23mm.

Here is a view of a new telecentric empty from its optics :

PST setup : the BF15 and a KG3 IR/UV block from Beloptik are located at the telecentric input.

The tiltable cell is used a bit to get rid a of small reflection between the BF15 and the first lens of the first telecentric group. Then comes the telecentric. The sun's size at the telecentric exit is 50mm. The free aperture of the telecentric exit lens is 48mm but it is also limited by the SCT thread to 44mm. So virtually we could have the full sun visible, but that is not the goal of this telescope obviously.
Then comes the PST without its lenses. I use short adaptors with SCT threads all along. SCT thread is nice as it has a larger aperture than T2, and the threads are much more robust than small 0,75 T2 threads.
All adaptors, including telecentric parts, are made on purpose by Skymeca in France and are 3mm wall thick for a maximum stiffness as tilts have a devastating effect on etalons. Everythink is screwed between the HaT and the etalon.
Then you can use whatever you need. Here there is a tilt ring to get rid of interferences on the CMOS sensor, an helicoidal focuser I don't use all the time, and a Basler acA1920-155um embeding an IMX174.

Lunt : The lunt setup is the same. I just add a Coronado RC that get rid of a small reflection somewhere.

Daystar : I use the Daystar mainly for visual as its 32mm etalon can cover any eyepiece, even a 21mm Ethos. It is screwed on the telecentric using a T2/SCT adaptor as the Quantum front adaptor is T2. When I use any combinaison, usually a Binovue with two 35mm Eudiascopic. I may add the 1,5A Omega filter that brings a nice added value.

Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Setup with HaT

Post by Derek Klepp »

Thanks it's always good to see what others are doing
cheers Derek

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Frédéric

thank you very much for explaining your set ups

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

What a fine scope and setup!

Is there any reason you have the blocker, and then the UV/IR KG3, rather than putting them the other way around as putting the KG3 first would reduce the thermal load on the BF15.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

marktownley wrote:What a fine scope and setup!

Is there any reason you have the blocker, and then the UV/IR KG3, rather than putting them the other way around as putting the KG3 first would reduce the thermal load on the BF15.
Yes : the KG3 is an absoption filter ! And the BF just reflect almost everything.

fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Neo wrote:Impressive toys!
About using the PST etalon, is there a need for the telecentric device as the PST is originally layed out for a f/10 system?
The field is homogeneous when used in telecentric mode. This is for HR, not to see the whole sun :)
The FoV is about 1/8th of the sun, that's quite enough to enjoy in visual observation.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

fjabet wrote:
marktownley wrote:What a fine scope and setup!

Yes : the KG3 is an absoption filter ! And the BF just reflect almost everything.
Doh! That's fairly obvious now I think about it :lol:

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Neo wrote:Thank you, I guess. I don't see how that answers my question but it's okay.
It's beyond my budget anyway.
I try again, my fault :)
At F/10 with its collimating lens, the PST etalon would deliver only a very small sweet HA spot (Jacquinot effect) due to the 2m FL. As this system is made for high resolution, and that requires a good FL, so it makes much more sense to use it with a telecentric amplifier that uses 100% of the PST 20mm etalon.
Nevertheless it works with a PST and its lenses, but you need to have a rather small sensor.

Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

thanks for showing...

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Frederic, I have a question; is the back of the telecentric unit a male SCT thread?
Mark

fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Yes Mark it is !