Blocking filter mirror.

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Blocking filter mirror.

Post by GUS »

Found this diagram, have seen the LS60 one before but not this one. It gives some details of the mirror in the diagonal, can someone explain its safety role in the BF, ( and whats meant by long wave pass). I noticed with my two BFs that they have a purple tint and are not as reflective as a standard diagonal mirror.
Attachments
012-_2__1_2.jpg
012-_2__1_2.jpg (144.41 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Blocking filter mirror.

Post by GreatAttractor »

From what I gathered elsewhere on SolarChat, I believe it has to do with preventing the long infrared (>1200 nm) from reaching the eye/camera. Note that the front ERF (the RG630 element) blocks only to 1200 nm. Similarly, for the same purpose we use e.g. a Beloptik KG3 IR/UV-cut filter in mods.

I'm sure the experts will give a more precise answer.

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
GUS

Post by GUS »

Thanks for the response GreatAttractor, so in a straight through BF is this blocking applied to one of the filters.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ivan

yes we discussed that with pics some years ago in that forum. The diagonal has some sort of golden mirror. I do not know how that IR pass is realised in a straight through blocking filter. Never had a chance to take one apart. Note, on the above pic they called the filter ahead of the blocking filter an ITF filter. Now a days Rikki speaks from a blue glass filter.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

Like my grand daughter's books, what is wrong with this picture.
Mark W.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

mdwmark wrote:Like my grand daughter's books, what is wrong with this picture.
Mark W.
That's funny, you made me laugh :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

The front element shows it as a polished RG630 window. But RG630 has the same profile as the "filter glass" window in the back. The front would need to have a short pass coated on it to get that profile. And it would probably turn back on at 800-1200nm.
The "filter glass" would be red so that when you are looking into the scope you would not see you eye looking back at you off of the blocker.This would either be a silver or gold looking mirror depending on the design.
Mark W.