my "Sunlux" PST mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
astrohardy
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

my "Sunlux" PST mod

Post by astrohardy »

Hi

Just saw this forum and just needed to register.
Completed a PST-mod some time ago, based on a 70/700mm "Skylux" refractor. Some years ago these telescope were offered here in Germany by a discounter (Lidl). They normally have decent optics but a lousy 1.25" focuser, and used ones are offered frequently on Ebay, flea markets and elsewhere. So Marcus Ettling from my astronomy club came up with the idea to use it for a PST mod, and he actually made a company produce the adapters on demand. So I just had to look out for a used ERF, order the adapter, cut the tube that it would be homofocal with a standard PST.

Works very nicely, and the resolution is much better than a standard PST. Focusing is done with the PST focuser. I use a DMK41 camera. In order to get the focus with a PST I need a barlow. With the mod I need some 13-15 videos for a full disk mosaik, which is easy to do. Here are some examples from the first year of operation.

full resolution

As the PSTs generally suffer from brightness gradients across the field of view, one essential improvement was to routinely use flats, which I create by massively defocusing the telescope. Autostakkert can create a master flat from a video and also does the correction while stacking.

Currently thinking about modifying a 127mm refractor, which I am mainly using for white light imaging.

Hartwig

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: my "Sunlux" PST mod

Post by marktownley »

Welcome to the forum Hartwig! That's a great mod that is producing some fantastic results. I like how you have your mount head fixed to the balcony too; very good!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by GUS »

Welcome to the site Hartwig. Fantastic mod and images.

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

A very successful mod

Vicchio
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Vicchio »

Very very nice solution!
What do you think about a "Sunlux" without the frontal ERF , on a stage 1 PST mod, with a second generation PST that have its internal Erf without filter on the original 40mm lens?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I think you would need some kind of filtration to keep the heat off the etalon and stop it potentially causing the tuning to drift because of the heat.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!