Which Quark for solar scope mod?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Which Quark for solar scope mod?

Post by Carbon60 »

Reaching out to the experts.

Some of you may be familiar with my Lunt35 mod (150mm f10 objective, internal ERF, collimating lens, Lunt35).
Lens Configuration2.jpg
Lens Configuration2.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
I'm considering double stacking using a regular Daystar Quark in the EP. My question is, would this work with my scope configuration since the Lunt 35 is an f11 scope and the regular Quark is optimised for f4-f8 scopes? The alternative would be the Combo Quark with my 2.5x Televue. In both cases I would probably use a 0.5x reducer to open out the field of view.

To date, I have been working with a second Lunt35 Etalon in DS mode, but getting an evenly illuminated field has proved really difficult. Would a DS Quark likely prove to be any better?

Thanks

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Which Quark for solar scope mod?

Post by marktownley »

You would end up with a massive focal length (6-7m?) with a regular quark. A quark combo would reduce this, but, remember quarks are not necessarily known for their evenly illuminated fields either. I think either would be a bit of a gamble trying personally.

I think the key to sorting this out is the mechanical tolerances and interfaces between the lunt units and the Istar scope. You got any pics of all this can have a look at?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Mark,

These were my concerns too and the reason for my extreme hesitancy. I have no experience with any of the Quarks and was aware of some of their idiosyncrasies wrt field uniformity and sensitivity to the light path. Mike G has had some success with various setups, though, which is why I was even considering this as an option.

I think you are right about the impact of tolerances, as sometimes the arrangement seems to work better than others. Maybe I should persevere with what I've got and save the £850!

I will post some images of the setup though.

Cheers

Stu

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Stu Marks right about the Quarks .I have become frustrated with double-stacking due to this.