Pre-Meade SolarMax 40 Mod?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Bojan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Pre-Meade SolarMax 40 Mod?

Post by Bojan »

Hi all,

After having Stephen Ramsden introduce me to solar astronomy at AstroCats in 2014 I have been bitten by the solar bug, and 90% of my astronomy is now Solar. I'm also part of the CBSAP and perform outreach here in Ottawa Canada.

I have a trusty pre-meade solarmax 40 which is a wonderful tool, however now I have my eyes set on something bigger.

Although I've looked through a Lunt 152 DS and a Cornado 90, and both views were fantastic, I was looking for something more DIY, and affordable.

The Quark (and all it's positive and negative history) seems to fit the bill and I'd like to pair it with my ES127mm apo for detailed work, and my Orion ST80 for full disk.

I'm unsure if my solarmax 40 will have a place in the toolkit with that. Is it possible to use the etalon from the solarmax to DS with the quark? Or will it just be providing funds for the project when sold?

Thanks!

Pre-Meade Solarmax40
SolarmxII DS90
Lunt 2" Wedge on ES 127mm Apo
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Pre-Meade SolarMax 40 Mod?

Post by marktownley »

There's no obvious way to use a SM40 etalon to double stack a quark as it's central obstruction will be plainly visible in the output telecentric beam of the quark. You may find that your sm40 scope is better for full disks than the quark and the st80, and also, you would be able to run 2 scopes at the same time. SM40 for full disks quark on the 127 for closeups. You could even make a triple scope rig with the Lunt wedge on the st80 ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

I would hold on to the 40 as there are days when a small aperture is all you can use.It is also very transportable

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

I would agree with Mark and Derek.
On really good days I reach for the Lyra 152mm plus Quark.
On less promising days it is the Tal100 - maybe stopped down to 60mm.
For travelling its the 60mm, Quark, Lunt CaK1200 and Baader ceramic wedge for full discs in 3 wavelengths.
But, on really poor days - or if I just want an easy full disc without resorting to a mosaic - the SM40 wins the day :P

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Bojan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bojan »

All good ideas, thanks guys! For the size and portability the Solarmax40 is a great scope... thanks for your input.

Pre-Meade Solarmax40
SolarmxII DS90
Lunt 2" Wedge on ES 127mm Apo
Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

I also concur with previous .... def keep the SM40 .... quarks are good but can be
hard work compared to simpler air spaced etalons.

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "