Advice Needed, Lunt LS35 To Equinox 66

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
bilbo
The Sun?
The Sun?

Advice Needed, Lunt LS35 To Equinox 66

Post by bilbo »

Hi All, Sorry to join the forum with a question, Up till now I've been happy just reading your posts. I have a Lunt LS35 with the B600 Filter which I love to bits but as I'm sure you know not enough inward focus for camera use without dismantling.
What I had in mind was porting the front filter and diagonal to a Skywatcher equinox 66 which has the same focal length of 400mm, I know I'm not going to gain anything optically but having a crayford focuser with lots of focus travel would be a dream.
Q1 Will this work? idea was to make an adaptor plate to fit front filter over dewshield
Q2 Does anyone have the exact thread sizes for the front filter to "ring" and ring to scope tube
Added a solar pic I took in September wiggled to near focus, I only get the sun inbetween equinox's
Thanks to all
Steve
Attachments

[The extension tiff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Edge HD 8, LS60tha B600, Esprit 80, IK 102
EQ6-R & Evolution Mounts
Atair 183M & 183C Protec's. ASI 178M, 485C, PGR CMV4000, Basler IMX249
Too Much Other Junk
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Advice Needed, Lunt LS35 To Equinox 66

Post by Merlin66 »

Steve, welcome!
Your idea would work.
The only restriction in using the front etalon would be the B600 blocking filter.
This limits the donor telescope to around 500mm focal length.
I don't know the thread sizes for the Lunt35, but I'm sure there will be someone along who can assist.
(Good image by the way - well done!)

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Carbon60 »

Steven,

My advice is to dismantle the 35 and take the optical tube to your engineering workshop for them to measure the threads accurately. They will use a thread gauge to obtain the correct pitch and depth for the front etalon housing to match up with perfectly. I would also take your dew shield to have them measure this accurately as well. The exact dimensions can then be added to your drawing of the adaptor plate.

I've had many various adaptors made for my scope mods and this really is the best approach for a perfect result.

Hope this helps.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
bilbo
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by bilbo »

Thanks guy's you've put my mind at rest, I couldn't think of any reason why it shouldn't work, just needed a little yes son, hug. Interesting also that the B600's good for 500mm as this opens further options and a liitle larger image if I'm thinking right.
I've now got something to look forward to, the sun has just gained enough elevation to clear the obstructing roof and I can't wait to have use of a focuser for the first time, The Baslers 1600-60gms a cracking liitle camera but all I've managed is a handful of single shots.

Thanks again, Hope I can post up some worthy images in the future.

Steve

EQ6-R & Evolution Mounts
Too Much Other Junk
bilbo
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by bilbo »

Magic Mate, May even be able to skip outsourcing work, That should just leave me with just finding something to slide over the dew shield and epoxying the adaptor ring in place. Good enough for testing at least.

Thanks again for you're help, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Steve

EQ6-R & Evolution Mounts
Too Much Other Junk