Coronado SM40 Etalon + Lunt B600?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Coronado SM40 Etalon + Lunt B600?

Post by nicosolcy »

Hi folks,

Need some expert opinions on this. I have a Borg 50mm Achro which I plan to fit with an etalon and a blocking filter. It has been done before as I have been corresponding with a fellow enthusiast who has this precise setup.

However, his Solarmax Etalon is pre-Meade and I am concerned that current SM40 units may not play well with the B600 filter. I know that this begs the question "why not a BF5 or a BF10?" and the answer is simple: T2 connectivity on the B600.

So, I would appreciate it if anybody who has this setup (current SM40 + B600) can confirm if it works ok, if they have compared the B600 to the BF5 or BF10 or alternatively, if there is a way to fit the BF5 or BF10 with a T2 connection.

Nick
---------------------------------------------------------------
Photosphere Junkie!
Borg 77 EDII f.6.6 (510mm), APM Herschel Wedge (Baader ND1.8)
Lunt 40mm SS FTF
ZWO ASI183MM, SW SolarQuest Mount
Baader Solar Continuum 540.0nm (FWHM 7.5) / Altair G-Band 430.3nm (FWHM 2nm) / Antlia K-Line 393.3nm (FWHM 3nm)
Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Coronado SM40 Etalon + Lunt B600?

Post by Solar B »

I think I recall reading that Lunt BFs were compatible with Coronado etalons but that Coronado BFs were not
compatible with Lunt etalons ... hope I've got that the right way round :)

I doubt there would be much difference between a pre Meade and a newer SM 40 apart from perhaps their actual bandwidth.

Brian

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nicosolcy »

Thanks for the feedback Brian. Unfortunately user feedback of this combination is conflicting per this thread http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/49924 ... o-vs-lunt/.

Nick
Photosphere Junkie!
Lunt 40mm SS FTF
Baader Solar Continuum 540.0nm (FWHM 7.5) / Altair G-Band 430.3nm (FWHM 2nm) / Antlia K-Line 393.3nm (FWHM 3nm)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The current SM40 and the Pre meade SM40 use the same RG630 glass for their ERf so will be fine.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nicosolcy »

Mark,

My dealer said that he had communicated in the past with Lunt about this and they were negative on compatibility. Which would be what I would expect initially since they would prefer to promote their own products as a package - but there may be a reason why they said so to which I am not privy to.

Then again, despite being a noob on this particular forum, I have been reading your posts for quite a while and your practical experience weights heavily here....

I'd love to use the B600 for the extra 1mm plus the fact that I can add a spare Baader click lock I have available - I just love those things :mrgreen:

First I need confirmation about the 52mm compatibility with the Borg (will know sometime this week) and then its decision time.

Key concern here is not safety as I can always throw in a UV/IR filter on a Borg / Coronado / Lunt Frankenscope just for safety's sake, but how compatible the two components are. Is the end visual impact affected? Is there a synergy if parts from the same manufacturer are used?

Ahhh... Questions that keep me up at night... :cat

Nick
Photosphere Junkie!
Lunt 40mm SS FTF
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nicosolcy »

Mark,

Another thought. Glass may be the same but coatings?

Nick
Photosphere Junkie!
Lunt 40mm SS FTF