Skywatcher StarTravel 102 + Lunt LS50THa good combo?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Skywatcher StarTravel 102 + Lunt LS50THa good combo?

Post by soulvagabond »

Hello everyone.

A few weeks back, I have discovered about the amazing Alpha-H watching world and been doing a lot of reading ever since.
The easiest solar scope for me to get is the Lunt 50, which will be arriving in about 2 weeks to the store of my choice.
Now, to be honest, I much prefer the close up images of the sun in Alpha, so the larger aperture mod is a must do.

The owner of the shop offered to perform the Lunt larger aperture mod for me, for about $150 plus the cost of the parts.

The parts to be used are:

Lunt LS50THa
Skywatcher StarTravel 102
Lunt 100mm ERF filter
Some custom adapter

I know the guy does a lot of custom telescope work, but, looks like it will be his first solar conversion mod.
So, I thought I better ask here, before pushing the green button.

Particularly, how well the StarTravel 102 F/5 Focal Ratio, 500mm Focal Length will suit that of the Lunt scope?
Will the B600 filter suite better for this conversion compared to B400?

Also, to mention, this will be used 100% for visual observation, and DS will not be done in near future, due to the budget limitation.

Any suggestions and criticism are welcome!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Skywatcher StarTravel 102 + Lunt LS50THa good combo?

Post by marktownley »

The Lunt 50 is an f7 scope, and so you will get enhanced sweet spot effects by using an f5 donor scope. You would get best views stopping it down to 70mm to reach f7, but you really aren't getting much resolution increase, if i'm being honest.

How do you plan to mate the 2 scopes together? I had the 100mm scope you talk about and the focuser is rubbish - I wouldn't want to be hanging another scope off it.

The B600 would be the better option!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by soulvagabond »

So, what the ideal donor's focal ration to use with the lunt then?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

f7

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by soulvagabond »

Thanks guys!

Another question I have, is there any danger in using either Lunt based 102mm mod or 102mm + Daystar Quark, without the front mounted ERF?