Lunt PT mod- vibration dampening

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Anthony M
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Lunt PT mod- vibration dampening

Post by Anthony M »

Hello, New to A-Hydrogen viewing and imaging with a Lunt 50mm/BF600. I am trying to record video for stacking and find adjustments to the PT'r to be difficult without bumping the scope too much. I've seen the remote tuner sold by Lunt and would rather save some honey for a stacking filter rather than for a electronic tuner. Has anyone thought about removing the manual tuner from the scope body and simply putting a high pressure pneumatic hose between the manual PT and the scope? It would be like using a shutter release cable on a camera for long exposures- nearly vibration free. Any references to others doing it would be highly appreciated! :). Thanks!!!

-Anthony

soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Re: Lunt PT mod- vibration dampening

Post by soulvagabond »

Can certainly be done.
Lunt doesn't need that much pressure, there was info posted somewhere, around (if I remember correctly) 20psi all it needs. A bottle of coke has more pressure than that.
There's a thread, where someone modifies an etalon to a vacuum tuned, but, an expensive precision pump was used:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15443
The logic,I assume is similar.

MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Anthony...

If you can engineer an adapter to mate the tuner to an air compressor you could make your own version of the Lunt remote tuner. I have the Lunt unit and it runs form 0 to 25PSI (for reference).

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Anthony M
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Anthony M »

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I am certainly going to look further into this mod. My idea was to see if it was possible to remove the existing pressure tuner from the OTA body and put a hose between them, but I don't know if it can be easily done. Seems like a separate compressor will have to be a very precise one, thus expensive at that. I also just bought a sturdier mount that should help a bit more (an ES Twilight i) and put my camera tripod away for now. Thanks for your input!

soulvagabond
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by soulvagabond »

Mechanical pump of some sort, is probaly a better solution after all.
No need for the power, no noise.
Just need to find a portable one of a good precision and not overly expensive

Anthony M
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Anthony M »

Note: I'm now investigating a manual "pressure calibration" pump to do this, they appear to have very sensitive pressure regulation that a PT would require for micro adjustments... I will update this when I get results either way.