Lunt 60FHa with EdgeHD 8

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
amendola
The Sun?
The Sun?

Lunt 60FHa with EdgeHD 8

Post by amendola »

I have a lunt LS50THa, and would like to get some better zoom and contrast. I'd like to get a double stack filter that I could use with both the Lunt 50mm scope, and my EdgeHD 8".

It looks like Lunt did support DS filters on SCT's, but have stopped. I found an adapter made for my C8 class scope which is made by lunt. Will this work?

SCT:
Sun ------> LS60FHa -> LS566/50 -> EdgeHD 8" -> B600 ---> Eye Ball

Lunt:
Sun -------> LS60FHa->LS50THa->B600 ---> Eye Ball

I'm thinking that the 60mm filter will improve the zoom and brightness as opposed to the 60mm.

Jamie

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt 60FHa with EdgeHD 8

Post by marktownley »

Hiya,

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here with the Lunt filters on the 8" scope. They will just be ridiculously dim as will be operating around f40 compared to the f7 of the LS50 setup.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
amendola
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by amendola »

I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. 1) double stack my Lunt 50, 2) get higher resolution views with my SCT (I would also use a focal reducer)
Disclaimer: I'm new to solar and only a novice with astronomy in general., so yes this may not be the best approach...

From the forms, it looks like many people are using a Daystar setups for SCT's. For me that would cost something like $2K and look something like this:

Sun -> E-244F63 (ERF) -> SCT -> combo-quark.

But the ERF would have a similar size, 63mm as the Lunt, 60mm filter. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this setup similar to the Lunt. I do see that the order is reversed though:

Daystar: ERF->SCT->H-Alpha
Lunt: H-Alpha->SCT->ERF

Jamie

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I personally think you will get the best bang for the buck double stacking your LS50 with a 50mm filter. The 60mm on a SCT aint the best way to go with all - be it a Daystar (masked to 63mm) or an external etalon, focal reducers are generally poor quality, and with a B600 (designed for upto 600mm focal length) it is going to be like looking through a drinking straw on the SCT.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
amendola
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by amendola »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely interested in the double stack, although my wife is starting to wonder how far this astronomy addiction will go, so that may wait till next year. I'm new to this and am having great fun enjoying the Lunt 50 as it is. I've just upgraded to a moonlite focuser last night, so we'll see how it works tomorrow.

So what would you recommend for getting higher resolution solar views without breaking the bank? Poking around the forums I see that some people have bolted Lunt filters to larger scopes. I noticed a bunch of threads where people are using full aperture D-ERF's, and even someone who is producing an "ARIES Solar Conversion Kit" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8374 I can't find the kit anywhere though...

Jamie