Doublestack with LS50F?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Doublestack with LS50F?

Post by bart1805 »

Hi there,
At the moment I use a Bresser 127 mm pst mod.But I have also got a LS50F filter. I learned here that I need F30 (thanks Merlin and Galosimo!). So then this would be an option:
- create a F30 beam
- use a Baader 35NM H-Alpha filter in front of the telecentric system
- attach the LS50F to the telecentric system, remove the Erf.
- remove the front lens of the PST etalon and attach the etalon to the LS50F
- leave everything else as it is. So the JMI focusser is attached to the PST etalon.

Fact is that I don't own a 3x telecentric system. But I do have a Televue 2,5x Powermate (1,25 inch). Would it be wise to try if it works by using the 2,5x powermate as the telecentric system? So then I guess the only things I need are an adapter T2 to M90 and a M90 to M50 adapter.

Any advice if it is wise to pursue this? Thanks in advance!
Bart.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Doublestack with LS50F?

Post by marktownley »

Air spaced etalons really don't work well in a telecentric beam, their lower refractive index (compared to solid) etalons means they have a really wide bandpass. Been there, done it, got the t-shirt. Don't waste your time!

Sorry!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

There is no need to be sorry Mark, thanks for your answer!
This is one of those adventures I think I can't resist to get the T-shirt myself...... But I saw the price of the first adapter (T2 to M90) when I calculated it on the website of precise parts. And it seems it is quite an expensive T-shirt (about 150 dollar). I have read a lot of threads about the double stacking and don't understand all of them. And it seems that some have managed to get fairly decent images with it. I will rethink this particular adventure.

Anna Rose
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Anna Rose »

Would it be beneficial to try if it works by using the 2,5x i think you will get better results from that thank you.
Last edited by Anna Rose on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Anna Rose wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 am Would it be beneficial to try if it works by using the 2,5x i think you will get better results from that thank you.
It doesn't work in a telecentic beam.

It would work in a collimated beam.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!