Strange Solar reactions with a 60 mm Lunt MOD

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
solarmax2016
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Strange Solar reactions with a 60 mm Lunt MOD

Post by solarmax2016 »

I have not posted many images since I completed the assembly of my 60 mm Lunt MOD with a Meade 102ED. The scope performs very well but if you decide to make one - the weight of the Moonlight Adapters plus Original Etalon assembly from Lunt (60 mm PT H-alpha filter unit) makes for a very
heavy scope - that is just barely driven by a Losmandy GM 9 mount. The images I'm showing have some strange attributes. The sunspot near the limb
photo has a ressemblace to a eye - complete with eyebrow. The linear activity area on the other image (if you look closely) has what appears to be a white lightning strike across 2 sunspot centres - a jagged jolt of plasma likely. Solar astronomy is all about finding these bizzare reactions that only occur rarely.

John
Attachments
July15_2017SunspotOnLimb2.JPG
July15_2017SunspotOnLimb2.JPG (326.91 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
August20_2017ActivityArea.jpg
August20_2017ActivityArea.jpg (419.79 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Strange Solar reactions with a 60 mm Lunt MOD

Post by marktownley »

Looks like it's working well!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!