PST,TALstage 1 mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

PST,TALstage 1 mod

Post by Sol seeker uk »

20190523_194104.png
20190523_194104.png (405.9 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
20190523_194104.png
20190523_194104.png (405.9 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Hi all, just collected a Tal refractor ready to mod with my pst.. it be stage 1 to start due to cost.
Just a few questions..
Does a external or internal erf make any difference to the quality of views/ images? Does say a 75mm internal erf fitted part way down from the top of the tube compared to a 2 inch 35nm ha filter fitted at the etalon end make any difference?
To achieve focus I understand it requires a certain amount chopped off and the focuser re-attached and I've read somewhere if you point it at the sun, place a card at the back of the focuser at measure the distance of where the focus point is? Isn't this harmful to the scope, don't worry I'm not going to look through it but thinking of the potential of damage to the scope
Can a Tal be double stacked, really like the 3d type images it produces, I'm not sure on who's image this is, but it's awesome
Any help or links/pictures be much appreciated

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: PST,TALstage 1 mod

Post by marktownley »

I removed 8 or 10cm from my Tal tube (can't remember exact amount). I've always got best results with external ERF, i've used an internal ERF (85mm beloptik triband) and also a 2" 7nm Ha.

Yes, i've done doublestacked PST mod, it does work but takes a lot of patience to get right.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

How is the tal or any scope double stacked( sorry abit new and abit green to all this)

Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

Sorry should of added, does double stacking give a result like the above picture?
When you say you got better results with a external erf, in which way? Was this on a stage 1 mod?
Sorry for all the questions mark