I think I'm done modding..will I like the Quark?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Starry Jack
Almost There...
Almost There...

I think I'm done modding..will I like the Quark?

Post by Starry Jack »

After 30 years of home built telescopes and mods of a billion kinds, I think my wife and I want me to get somethingy working out of the box. My last attempt at the PST STAGE 2 Mod was simply a wreck as I have poked and prodded my poor unsuspecting equipment until nothing can possibly line up critically.

I have a beautiful full aperture D-ERF from Val and I don't want that to go to waste. I have my 6" achromat of f6.5. I do outreach and I need to stop fiddling and simply do my teaching.

Will I be happy with the Quark chromosphere and the D-Erf? I want med power views with good detail I can tease out both live (with a camera) and post processing.

Thoughts?

Tired Jack

Explore Scientific 152mm f6.5 achromat
Aeries D-ERF
Quark Chromosphere f27 native, (f14 when focal reduced)
Mallincam .5x focal reducer (large format)
12nm Filter
ZWO174 (IMX249 chip 5um)
Huge Sense of Adventure Viewing Creation
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: I think I'm done modding..will I like the Quark?

Post by marktownley »

Quark sounds a good idea

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Starry Jack
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Starry Jack »

Perfect. I know it is completely subjective but I'm thinking a quark and a medium level monochrome camera I will be at peace. I'm sure you know the 'I can build this!' syndrome, but I I have gotten tired.

As Soo as the check comes in ai will order.

Cheers,
Jack.

BTW, Mark, whenever I see your name I get wistful to visit my Cornish Cousins. I love them dearly.

Aeries D-ERF
12nm Filter
ZWO174 (IMX249 chip 5um)
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

How is the seeing in your location? With its 4.2x telecentric the Quark will give more high power views in a 6” scope. You may have to downsize to a 4-5”

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
Starry Jack
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Starry Jack »

I don't know officially what the seeing is. I could eat a quark combo and and a 2x powermate. 5he manager at Daystar suggested seeing would be fine at f32 but my experience leads me to think that the 4x built-in is a lit of power. I don't want to be pound wise and penny foolish and I wanted to save a littl3 money to get a monochrome camera. I do have a focal reducer.

Aeries D-ERF
12nm Filter
ZWO174 (IMX249 chip 5um)