Coronado/Lunt hybrid?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Coronado/Lunt hybrid?

Post by hopskipson »

Hi All

I’m thinking of double stacking my LS60 pt, but don’t want to shell out $1500 for the Lunt 60mm DS filter. Has anyone tried to use the solarmax 2 DS filter instead? Seems like a cheaper option even with a precise parts adapter. Please let me know if this will work or am I better off sticking with Lunt. Thanks!

James

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Coronado/Lunt hybrid?

Post by marktownley »

Yes, will work in theory. But only as effective as stacking Lunt Lunt or Coronado Coronado. Regardless of permutation, the etalon with that needs the most tilt needs to be the outer etalon in the system.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

marktownley wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 am Yes, will work in theory. But only as effective as stacking Lunt Lunt or Coronado Coronado. Regardless of permutation, the etalon with that needs the most tilt needs to be the outer etalon in the system.
I'm a little confused, most of my solar has been with a Quark. I just recently purchased a Pressure tuned Lunt 60. So this should work (in theory) or do I need to do something else to make it work? Or is sticking with the Lunt my best bet? I realize the DS etalon will need some tilt to get on band and move the ghost image, will I have enough tilt using the Coronado to do so?

Sorry for my ignorance :cat

James
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

In theory it should all work! Etalon combinations are fickle things mixing and matching. My advice, try before you buy. If unsure buy the Lunt double stack, I know it cost's more but you can return if not good. Stacking a Coronado onto a Lunt should work but if it doesn't are Coronado going to accept a return?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

Point taken!
Thanks Mark.

James