How to Remove Filter

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
astrobiker23
The Sun?
The Sun?

How to Remove Filter

Post by astrobiker23 »

I want to replace the filter on my Coronado Nearstar but I can't see how to remove it. It looks like there is a ring holding it in place but I cant find anything to move it. Any suggestions thank you
IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6354.JPG (639.81 KiB) Viewed 1744 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: How to Remove Filter

Post by marktownley »

Not familiar with this one, what does it look like from the other side?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: How to Remove Filter

Post by Rusted »

There is just a hint of opposed indents [arrowed.]

If it were me I'd be trying thin, grippy, industrial rubber gloves for increased friction.
Just press the ring lightly enough to start the rotation in an anticlockwise direction.
The lack of drive slots may be a security feature to make it more difficult to remove a vital safety device.

Or, as Mark has suggested: A view of the other side may be rather more illuminating. :D

IMG_6354 filter sc arrow rsz.JPG
IMG_6354 filter sc arrow rsz.JPG (80.91 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.