solarmax II

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
alpha76
The Sun?
The Sun?

solarmax II

Post by alpha76 »

Good morning all

Here I have a Coronado Solarmax II 90 and I would like to change the plastic screws of the BF as well as on the eyepiece holder with metal screws
Do you have an idea?

thank you
Attachments
Capture N.PNG
Capture N.PNG (531.34 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (308.13 KiB) Viewed 2150 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: solarmax II

Post by marktownley »

Just measure them, they will be a standard size, probably m4?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Rusted »

Be aware that metal screws may damage the cosmetics of your attached equipment. Eyepiece barrels, diagonals, etc.
Metal screws with plastic points are available. Matching threads exactly may also be a problem.

All screws threads are subject to tolerances in [usually CNC] manufacture.
The thread cutting tap in the machine should be changed to a new one at intervals. But when? Who decides?

I have a small collection of thumbscrews which I use for multiple, radial screws in receptacles for a more secure grip.
Though I have several different thread cutting taps, for each thread size, the difference in fit can often be dramatic.
The screw falls out or is far too tight without further work. There is often a very fine line between the degree of fit.

Fully inserting a 1st [tapered] cutting tap in the screw hole is often disastrous! The screw fit will be far too loose.
The metals used in fittings aren't always the finest material to support a new thread.

Astro suppliers sell thumbscrews. As do others on eBay, etc.

Too much information but it may be useful to somebody. ;)

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
alpha76
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by alpha76 »

With you a thread reference