Lunt Modular HA 60mm Potential?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Lunt Modular HA 60mm Potential?

Post by MalVeauX »

Hey all,

I'm thinking of trading in my solar max 60's and getting Lunt's new 60mm modular ED refractor with modular HA pressure tuner. It can be double stacked later easily with front mounted 60mm etalon. But the beauty is that the internal pressure tuned etalon is operating in the F7 range, clear aperture, pressure tuned, and it was made to be removed/modular. So, I wonder what potential it has for mounting behind a larger aperture instrument with sufficient energy rejection ahead of it, and whether it needs to be in F7 or could be in F8~F10, or if it needs to be in a collimated beam, or what?

Any thoughts?

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt Modular HA 60mm Potential?

Post by marktownley »

There's pros and cons of both. Good front mounted etalons are a winner if you can get them but you are limited to aperture, however the rear mounted Lunt module gives more flexibility with a range of f7 scopes - the caveat, as with PST mods is the limited workable field due to sweetspot.

For me, (good) front mounted etalons for nice even full disks, rear mounted etalons for the close ups.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!