Need Help Identifying This

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
silversolarsurfer
The Sun?
The Sun?

Need Help Identifying This

Post by silversolarsurfer »

Hi, would anyone here happen to know what these gold tubes are from/for? I am getting them with a bunch of other equipment from an estate of a heavy duty solar observer. I am late to the party though and ending up with just the collection of mystery parts and pieces that were left. The son tells me the previous owner was heavily into working with manufacturers to modify equipment for specific purposes.

To me, they look like the front ends from Meade/Coronado P.S.T.s. All I know is they're about the right size, look like something was removed from the back, and contain "glass". I used to have one of the original P.S.T.s before graduating to a Lunt 60mm single stack dedicated solar telescope (which I love to pieces).

Is there anyone here who could help me to ID them and determine what's needed to bring them back to a fully functional state or tell me if there's anything useful here for making my own Franken-solar-telescope?

I'll post more pictures/info once I have them in my hands, but I am going crazy trying to figure out what they are.

Thank you so much for your help!
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Need Help Identifying This

Post by Merlin66 »

I’d say they are dumped gold tubes from PST mods.
This tube is replaced by a larger objective scope.
Check the condition of the front objective, if it’s gold colored then it has the original ERF coated version which has failed, and no longer usable.
These are redundant and off no real use. They can’t be upgraded to a standard PST or PST mod.
You need the associated (and expensive) etalon and blocking filters to make anything of them.
Good table ornaments????

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Need Help Identifying This

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Yep. Looks like PST tubes.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope