Advices needed on doublestacking Daystar Quark Chrom and PST Etalon

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
sywong2000
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Advices needed on doublestacking Daystar Quark Chrom and PST Etalon

Post by sywong2000 »

Hi Mark,

Did you try FireCapture? There's a "in-place" flat function that I've found it's quite handy to use for removing any bands and artifacts like dust buddies.

I tilt the camera until the rings are not noticeable, focus the telescope, and then put the thin plastic bag on the objective and use the flats function in FireCapture, pointing the telescope to the middle of the sun (so the imaging field is fully illuminated). It will take a set of flats and applies to the preview and the subsequence video in real-time. When I see the result is good then I start the imaging session. This only takes me another 3-4 minutes to do so. There're few advantages: this saves me a lot of post-processing time and I don't have to be dead-on at the tilt. I just tilt until I do not (or barely) notice the rings and the flats will take care of the rests. The results are shown on screen which I can see if it's good in realtime.

Also coming back and share some of the results I achieve with the same setup a week ago. These were taken on 15-May-2021 GMT 8:00
Attachments
2021-05-15-0759_5-U-L-Sun_Halpha_lapl4_ap188_processed.png
2021-05-15-0759_5-U-L-Sun_Halpha_lapl4_ap188_processed.png (2.86 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
2021-05-15-0802_6-U-L-Sun_Halpha_lapl4_ap119_processed.png
2021-05-15-0802_6-U-L-Sun_Halpha_lapl4_ap119_processed.png (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1355 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Advices needed on doublestacking Daystar Quark Chrom and PST Etalon

Post by marktownley »

Nice results! I have used the flat feature on firecapture, but tbh, rather just clean off dust bunnies and / or tilt the camera if have issues.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!