Fitting a quart into a pint pot - need ideas please?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
DJD
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Fitting a quart into a pint pot - need ideas please?

Post by DJD »

Dear All,
On my Tal/PST mod I have a back end that I take out to the scope,plug into the scope
and am ready to viewing or imaging via a flip mirror.
It is all spaced out so that if I use my Tal focuser the visual and CCD image are just about con-focal. I have no need for
a secondary focuser.
All works nicely and has done for a few years.
ImagePSTrig by David Dench, on Flickr
I now want to throw a big spanner in the works and want to ( if the brief seeing allows ) image at a larger image
scale, by making a quick change.
The imaging arm that is on the straight through path of the flip mirror is the15mm Blocking Filter ( adapted 1.25" eyepiece holder )
followed by the camera assembly ( T to C adapter and PGR camera ).
I want a quick way to slip in some image multiplier quickly that does not require me to dissemble the arrangement and
rebuild it every time.
I have available a 2x Glasspath Corrector that I removed from a Baader amici prism. It is basically a 1.25" fit barrel that I fixed inside
a 15mm TS optics T extension tube. I also have a 1.25x Baader GPC that I have mounted inside a Baader T to 1.25" nosepiece.
I have from the distant past a 1.8x nosepiece barlow.
The simplest way and would give maximum leeway for adapters is to remove the flip mirror ( gives an extra 60mm ), but
ideally I would like to just make the change post blocking filter.
I have played with my GPCs without getting anywhere, I can't find a way that moves the focus point out without requiring some inwards
movement to achieve a sensible focus.
Anyone know enough about GPC spacings to suggest an obvious solution with the constraints ?
Best wishes,
David

Making the possible difficult and the difficult impossible.
Photos : https://www.flickr.com/photos/daviddench/albums/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Fitting a quart into a pint pot - need ideas please?

Post by marktownley »

Great mod David! I've thought about using a flip mirror a couple of times now for different things. Not familiar with the glasspaths to give specific advice, my approach would be to just experiment...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DJD

Post by DJD »

OK, I am about to admit defeat.
I have found that my 1.8x nose piece barlow "works" within my constraints but I am not impressed
by its results.
Can anyone recommend a screw-in barlow in the range 1.5x to 2x that is working well for you ?
Many thanks,
David

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Just use a cheap skywatcher barlow, they have the screw on nose and adjust the spacing of it until you get the magnification factor you're after David.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DJD

Post by DJD »

Some good news and some bad news ....
Last week I bought myself a Baader Q-Barlow to use the 1.3x nosepiece part.
The good news - I played with it on a secondary scope and got some very sharp views with it at about 2x mag.
The bad news, I unscrewed it out of the 1.25" nosepiece and only the retaining ring ( the only piece visible when inserted )
came out on its own leaving the rest of the barlow inserted , allowing the three component lenses to fall out on to the carpet.
I have no idea how to re-arrange the three lenses into the correct order and orientation.
A bit of a design flaw unfortunately. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
David