Etalon adjustment

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Etalon adjustment

Post by DavidP »

Hello all.
I just pulled my front mount DS Lunt75 out after not using them for a couple of years. (I’ve been using a Solarspectrum) Unfortunately the single stack appears to be decontacted from having been dropped a while back. I’m going to send it out for repair.
Evaluating the double stack module though, it seems to be off. Regardless of tuning adjustment only the very outer edge comes close to being on band. I seem to remember that turning could draw the ghost image in to the field enough to contact the true image. Presently the ghost image does not come into the field with adjustment. As I adjust, it runs perpendicular at a distance to the true image. Is this something that I can adjust myself?
To further complicate it, I’m not sure to what degree the etalon is mounted parallel to the telescope objective. I made the current etalon holder myself.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Etalon adjustment

Post by marktownley »

Hi David

I would try clocking the 2 etalons relative to each other first. There will be a point when they perform optimally.

Have you ever tried reversing the order of the etalons?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!