Where is Lunt?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Where is Lunt?

Post by c_molders »

Hi All,
What's wrong with Lunt? Last November I tried to buy a Lunt 50. Many companies reported waiting time delivery 6 months. July 2023 we have them again. Now I ask again and the answer is December 2023 we can only deliver. I can't make any recordings with a Lunt for a year. Question: Lunt still exists? Why don't they deliver anymore? There is no Lunt 50 for sale in all of Europe. Is there a very good alternative. The sun is full of activities and I can't make any recordings. Very frustrating. Do you have tips for me?

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Where is Lunt?

Post by TareqPhoto »

Well, i don't know because i am new to solar and Lunt, last year in October i ordered their CaK module from a store and the store told me it is out of stock and will take like 2-3 months to be in stock, so i waited, then they shipped it to wrong address, i gave up and told them either to refund me or send me replacement, they sent last month and i received it, so i feel like Lunt products are either in low volume or very slow to make them available, i don't know if in future i will buy another product from Lunt, not questioning their products quality this is out of question, but the availability and shipping status.

Dennis
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Dennis »

c_molders wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:53 am Hi All,
What's wrong with Lunt? Last November I tried to buy a Lunt 50. Many companies reported waiting time delivery 6 months. July 2023 we have them again. Now I ask again and the answer is December 2023 we can only deliver. I can't make any recordings with a Lunt for a year. Question: Lunt still exists? Why don't they deliver anymore? There is no Lunt 50 for sale in all of Europe. Is there a very good alternative. The sun is full of activities and I can't make any recordings. Very frustrating. Do you have tips for me?
Im waiting too for a Lunt 40. And I waited for my Lunt Ca-K module as well. To me its not a mystery, demand goes up during more solar activity, at the same time certain key materials are scarce atm in this sector. Ask somebody who is waiting for a Solarspectrum etalon.

Triband C9.25

H-a: 2x Lunt40 rear mounted

WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm

Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo), corrective lenses (thanks again Apollo)

Cameras: imx432 + imx462
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

Lunt 60 ordered early April. Was told 2-3 months. I figure it will come when it comes. Not as bad as getting an Astro Physics.

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

In the good old days I waited 2.5 years to get a Daystar University 0.5 filter for our society. Later 2 years for my own 0.6 ATM filter. When a german dealer a few years ago had SolarSpectrum 0.3 filters in stock I said to my wife, I think its time for a new filter :cool:
Been on an AP waiting list for 24 years…

GeorgeIonas
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GeorgeIonas »

I've been waiting for my 0.3 filter SolarSpectrum for for 1 year and two months, through Alpine Astro, I was told that the vacuum plant was out of action.

George

DS External SM90 Etalons, Single External SM40 Etalon, BF30, WO FLT98 f/6.3, Tak FS-102 f/8, Tak FS-60C f/5.9, DMK51, DMK21
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think Woodland Hills in the USA have some stock. You should click the WH TelescopeS.net sponsor button at the top of the main Solarchat page and speak to Simon, or private message Simon2940. He sent me an item to the UK so I am sure he can send stuff to Europe. I am sure he can give an update about Lunt stock too.

Alexandra

c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by c_molders »

Thank you very much all for the answers about Lunt. I am not allone wth this question. Alexandra I try to contact Simon, thanks for the tip.
Regards C.Molders

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:39 am I think Woodland Hills in the USA have some stock. You should click the WH TelescopeS.net sponsor button at the top of the main Solarchat page and speak to Simon, or private message Simon2940. He sent me an item to the UK so I am sure he can send stuff to Europe. I am sure he can give an update about Lunt stock too.

Alexandra
This is where i bought my Lunt CaK from, they got it at the best price, but they increased it a lot now, thank God i did order it before that.

Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

I checked my order date. It was March 29, 2023. It will probably come sometime while I’m gone and get returned :) and then I can start over.

BGazing
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by BGazing »

High solar activity and upcoming eclipse, it was to be expected. That is why I splurged on DS module, on top of SS splurging, a bit earlier than I otherwise would. SS waiting time was 4 months.
At least it looks like they are not rushing to meet increased demand by lowering standards.

Lunt 80MT DS, 533
Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

Checked with my dealer. They had no idea when it might come, so I emailed Faye at Lunt. The hold up on mine seemed to be the FeatherTouch. Seems I can hope for 7 months, October, but no definite date. It could be later than October.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

My ordered Lunt 40 is already at customs here. Took around 2 months in total to wait for my sample.

Triband C9.25

H-a: 2x Lunt40 rear mounted

WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm

Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo), corrective lenses (thanks again Apollo)

Cameras: imx432 + imx462
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

With 50mm depending on the BF, focuser, needing a DS etalon wait times can be long. All last week up to yesterday or today AgenaAstro had 4 of 50mm with the B400 and helical focuser in stock. As of now down to zero.

When I purchased the 50mm back in early April only the B600 was available. I was sort of set on the B400. Visual use only observer. Inventory at Agena went from 3 or 4 down to 2 within a day. So I hit purchase. Just in time. Either me or someone else purchased the last unit. Then within a couple weeks Agena had more of the 50s but only with the B400. Turns out the B600 even for visual only use was the better option. Able to use a 5mm EP today and still not completely fill the fov with the full sun. Basically you need to monitor all the online vendors and Lunt's site daily and hope. Or put your order in and wait.....

AgenaAstro ships worldwide. CONUS shipping is usually free. Assuming they will give you some break on shipping to Europe.

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Brroberts-23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:23 pm Checked with my dealer. They had no idea when it might come, so I emailed Faye at Lunt. The hold up on mine seemed to be the FeatherTouch. Seems I can hope for 7 months, October, but no definite date. It could be later than October.
Ordered from Lunt the FTF1575BCR FeatherTouch focuser for the 50mm back in May. Need it to handle the mass of a binoviewer and couple EPs. In April Faye noted 4-5 months ETA. By May the ETA was up to 5-6 months. Hopefully they are high up on the vendors priority list. When I considered direct from Starlight the ETA was unknown. Lunt has pulled from the option drop down list the FT focuser. You are stuck with the helical only. Guessing due to the probably long backorder list.

CaptainKoloth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by CaptainKoloth »

I ordered a CaK filter and a double stack etalon for my 80 probably six months ago. Are these wait times typical? I just get skeptical when things have gone on this long that a product will eventually show up at my door.

Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

60MT BF 1200 Feathertouch ordered February 29th as mentioned above. Recently emailed Faye for update, out of office until today. I still hope to hear from her sometime. No idea when I’ll get the scope. The FeatherTouch is the hold up. Over 8 months now.

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

CaptainKoloth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:28 pm I ordered a CaK filter and a double stack etalon for my 80 probably six months ago. Are these wait times typical? I just get skeptical when things have gone on this long that a product will eventually show up at my door.
Typical wait times? Probably. The FT focuser on backorder eta was a few months. I think it was November. Realistically unknown. StarLight is a small company. The Lunt LS50C when ordered had an ETA of November. A 3-6 month wait. AgenaAstro, one of Lunt's largest vendors has it now back in stock. So... hope it shows up within a few days. But then I might be so far down the backorder list. Might have to wait until the next production run. Lunt Life.

FeatherTouch seems to be in a class by itself. Did you consider the Lunt Crayford focuser. No idea of the absolute quality and relative to the FT quality. Lunt webpage notes in stock.

CaptainKoloth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by CaptainKoloth »

LostInSpace wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:09 pm
CaptainKoloth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:28 pm I ordered a CaK filter and a double stack etalon for my 80 probably six months ago. Are these wait times typical? I just get skeptical when things have gone on this long that a product will eventually show up at my door.
Typical wait times? Probably. The FT focuser on backorder eta was a few months. I think it was November. Realistically unknown. StarLight is a small company. The Lunt LS50C when ordered had an ETA of November. A 3-6 month wait. AgenaAstro, one of Lunt's largest vendors has it now back in stock. So... hope it shows up within a few days. But then I might be so far down the backorder list. Might have to wait until the next production run. Lunt Life.

FeatherTouch seems to be in a class by itself. Did you consider the Lunt Crayford focuser. No idea of the absolute quality and relative to the FT quality. Lunt webpage notes in stock.

Well I'm not in need of the focuser myself, I'm my case I was wondering about the blocking filter and the etalon.

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bastelhannes »

Bresser in Germany (bresser.de) has some on stock...

My greatest fear is being married alive.
Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

I really want the FT and don’t want to pay for a focuser to just replace it when I get a FT, which would probably take longer than for Lunt to get it. This probably my only Ha scope ever given the cost, so I wait.

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Brroberts-23 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:26 pm I really want the FT and don’t want to pay for a focuser to just replace it when I get a FT, which would probably take longer than for Lunt to get it. This probably my only Ha scope ever given the cost, so I wait.
I went the expensive and duffus route. AgenaAstro had the 50THa, B600, Lunt helical focuser and 4" dovetail in stock. Knew about some of the issues of Lunt helical. It developed the Lunt Wobble. Replaced it with the Lolli Coma. Then decided to try binoviewing. Guessing the Coma helical was not designed for BV load based on the less than silky smooth focus ring function. So the long wait for the FT and using one hand to support the load when focusing. Hopefully not damaging the Coma. Also, had to purchase a much longer dovetail bar to properly balance the mass of the added BV.

Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

It will be right around 9 months when it shows. The FT for my Lunt is now in Lunt’s hands. Astronomics has been invoiced and my credit card charged. So, by the end of November, I should own a Lunt 60MT BF1200 FT.

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Have received one of three Lunt items that have been on backorder. Just checked my account at Lunt. FT focuser was ordered in mid-May. Mariah or Faye noted eta of maybe November. Lunt LS50C was ordered through Astronomics in mid-Sept with an unknown eta. Most Lunt items at Astronomics are special orders. Like from Lunt direct the items were charged and paid for at time of order vs. when shipped. AgenaAstro last week had one LS50C on inventory. Agena is supposedly the largest Lunt vendor. Guessing they have priority vs. other vendors.

So far, Lunt has not sent a shipping notification email. Item just shows up. Also, at my account the status of received items still show "processing". Between no shipping email, no update at the account order page. It's just wait and when the order arrives it's a good day.

Another cloudy day. Not missing any observation opportunities. November usually is a cloudy, rain/snow month. October is usually sunny and dry. Not this year.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

The high demand caused by not only being close to solar maximum but the two nearby eclipses may be to blame for the backlog. You might try Coronado.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

My purchase is due to visiting the McDonald observatory solar viewing session with my wife last February, and she asked if we could do that? I said yes if…. She said okay, so I started building a portable solar presentation system to travel to schools and use when I have public observing sessions at my small observatory. The Ha scope is the last piece. Now I can get everything working together correctly and finish my lesson plan. Then practice some with sessions at my house and then talk to schools. Getting closer.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Good luck! 🍀👍🏻

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Here is Lunt

Lunt_0.jpg
Lunt_0.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Lunt_1.jpg
Lunt_1.jpg (249.53 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

Sorry, could not resist :mrgreen:

regards Rainer
Last edited by rsfoto on Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

:lol:

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

^^^ :D

hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

:oops:
rsfoto wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:16 pm
Hi,

Here is Lunt

Lunt_0.jpg

Lunt_1.jpg

regards Rainer
You beat me to the punch line! :lol:

On a serious note, they are a small business that makes highly complex optical systems plus having to depend on another small business like starlight and long lead times are inevitable.
Have you considered Solar Scope? I’m not sure what lead time you can expect from them but at least they are based in Europe.

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

My scope would have been ready in 6 months if I didn’t have to wait on the focuser, but I really wanted the FeatherTouch.

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bastelhannes »

The hint trying Colorado is good.

But...

I already had 3 double stack Coronados on my bench this year, where the etalons were not on H-alpha manufactured. Maybe some unknown Fraunhofer-lines, but definitively not H-alpha.

When you calculate the original shipment, sending back, waiting for replacement,100 emails asking for the progress, etc. , Lunt suddenly seems fast.

Just my 2 cents

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bastelhannes »

regards Rainer
Lol, you can find Lunt, where only a few are parking. Maybe this could be the reason? No workers?

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Bastelhannes wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:02 am

regards Rainer
Lol, you can find Lunt, where only a few are parking. Maybe this could be the reason? No workers?
Maybe they car pool? :?: :) . Bit opposite of the small "non-profit" hospital I use to work at before moving on to a non-profit community health clinic. Full parking lots. Hundreds of car. Maybe 25 inpatients. Doesn't mean people are working.

Small company. Guessing production crew in the single digits. About Lunt page only lists 8 people. Based on a fuzzy, old memory. Someone at CNs noted Starlight Instruments is a smaller company than Lunt.

Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

Well it’s made the 9 month mark now, but I really am supposed to have it in a week or so. I’ll have to bust out a dew heater strip for the bf.

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Winter is a bit on the cool side. Weather has been bit weird for the past few years. Highs have been half the time either ~5-10C warmer or colder than normal. At least the other half of days have been the new "normal". Today is typical. -10C at sunrise. Normal is -5C. Based on the loss of definition during a -5C session. Probably need a BF heater. Minimal night viewing sessions during winter (Dec-Feb). Bit of a cold wimp. Guessing minimal cold temp (less than -5C) solar sessions.

The wait for the LS50C and FT focuser will not be as annoying over winter. FT eta was November. Still two days left in the month. But thinking not until later. Wonder how much the waiting list is growing now that the Holiday spending season is in full spend mode. America, the land of personal and government debit. Keeps the economy rolling. Until.....

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Received an email from Faye today. ETA on the FT focuser is now ~4 months. So far, the Adriano Lolli Coma helical is holding up to the load of binoviewing. Probably should switching back to the stock Lunt Helical. Already has the wobble so outside of needing two hands to focus it sort of is functional. When it total goes at least I have the Coma.

Brroberts-23
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Brroberts-23 »

LS60MT BF1200 FeatherTouch. 9 months and 2 days. Of course the weather is mixed snow and rain. After the package warms a bit, I’ll set it up.

c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by c_molders »

Good message! This week I finally received the Lunt, it is a Lunt LS50Tha/B600.
I bought the scope in Germany. Suddenly there were three in stock. The long wait has paid off. Now waiting for the sun. Happy New Year. Regards C. Molders

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

c_molders wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:43 am Good message! This week I finally received the Lunt, it is a Lunt LS50Tha/B600.
I bought the scope in Germany. Suddenly there were three in stock. The long wait has paid off. Now waiting for the sun. Happy New Year. Regards C. Molders
Congratulations!! :hamster:

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

c_molders wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:43 am Good message! This week I finally received the Lunt, it is a Lunt LS50Tha/B600.
Happy New Year! Good way to start the New Year.