PST rust repair?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
CaptainKoloth
The Sun?
The Sun?

PST rust repair?

Post by CaptainKoloth »

Hello all:

I pulled my pre-Meade PST out of storage recently eager to get back into solar viewing, only to discover (quite belatedly, I know!) the "objective rust" issue. Ultimately the solution for me will be to upgrade (see my other topic), but in the meantime, two questions:

1) Is the PST still safe to use? Is the answer to that question even well understood?
2) Would Meade still repair it? Does anyone else?

Just trying to figure out my options with respect to what to do with the PST, which I'll have to figure out regardless of the upgrade.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: PST rust repair?

Post by marktownley »

yes it will be safe to use. How bad is it? Post a picture.

I would put a 'wanted' out on the buy and sell section, you may find one of the many modders on here has a gold tube they are happy to sell - you could just swap the objective over then.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
CaptainKoloth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by CaptainKoloth »

Here's how mine looks. It doesn't look this bad to the naked eye- the flash exacerbates it.
Attachments
20231001_083510.jpg
20231001_083510.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1219 times
20231001_083514.jpg
20231001_083514.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1219 times

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

As far as I know Coronado gave lifetime warranty and that would mean you get free of charge a new filter from Meade/Coronado.

I already got 2 times a free BF30 in exchange. Got to the vendor where you bought it with the scope and tell the vendor to send your filter to Meade/Coronado and you should get a new one free of charge.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

you may find one of the many modders on here has a gold tube they are happy to sell - you could just swap the objective over then.
A great idea!

However, since you'd be replacing the rusted ITF coating on your OEM objective with likely a later un-ITF coated objective, you'll also have to get a stand-alone ITF filter from Maier, or the BelOptik ITF replacement filter (when Oliver goes back into production), to do the work of the failed ITF coating on your rusted objective. This would have to go after the pentaprism and before the order selection filter in the eyepiece holder.
I already got 2 times a free BF30 in exchange.
When I had my BF30 ITF rust I sent it in for repair, and instead of replacing the ITF they replaced the entire BF, and the order selection blocking filter was scratched. I returned it and then received an another completely new BF with much a lower transmission. NOT impressed. I'd be concerned that MEADE might replace the entire pre-MEADE PST with a current PST, which would be a real crap shoot with regard to etalon quality.

Stellar Vision in Tucson AZ does solar telescope and etalon repair, with reportedly excellent results. I personally would do this and pay for it rather than hand a rare pre-MEADE PST back to MEADE, with who knows what might come back. But that's just me.

You could also do a DIY repair with an Edmund 40mm f10 AR coated objective and the above Maier or BelOptik ITF replacement filters.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory