Easy Peasy PST Mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
StarryDave
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Easy Peasy PST Mod

Post by StarryDave »

I have just finished my first solar season with my PST mod which this group helped me to build. It seems to work very well and you can see a compilation of my captures at https://youtu.be/q2_tTYrpWwQ

The mod is very simple and here are the steps:
1. Remove original 40mm PST objective.
2. Mount 2" Baader 7nm Ha filter to front of PST using 52>48mm step down ring.
3. Mount F10 OTA over PST tube to focus at 200mm past etalon.

I tested the concept using a Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ OTA. I had to remove the last baffle which just pushes out but I did not have to cut the tube.
Once concept was proved I then used a Celestron Cosmos 90GT OTA for the final configuration. Again, baffle removed and tube not cut. Below are some fotos to show the design.
PST90 tuner side.png
PST90 tuner side.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1387 times
PST90 focus side.png
PST90 focus side.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1387 times
PST90 overview.png
PST90 overview.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1387 times

Dave
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Easy Peasy PST Mod

Post by marktownley »

Nice mod!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

This interesting configuration could in principle also be used for the CaK PST. The 40mm optics is not as much of a limiting factor at the shorter wavelength, but it's probably a quick and easy way to get 70mm to 80mm aperture. The CaK PST has a quite nice bandwidth (I think a little better than the Lunt CaK).

highfnum
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by highfnum »

very nice!

cybermayberry
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by cybermayberry »

That is great

Rich

Lunt 60mm SS, Daystar Quark Chromosphere,
Antlia wedge,Lunt wedge
Mrural
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Mrural »

Hello - Can I use a 2" Lumicon LF3090 filter for this mod? I can't seem to find passband info on it? Please advise. Thank you.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Mrural wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 pm Hello - Can I use a 2" Lumicon LF3090 filter for this mod? I can't seem to find passband info on it? Please advise. Thank you.
Not much info out there on it. Is it a coloured glass type filter or does it have a dichroic coating?

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Mrural
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Mrural »

Thanks for the reply - looks like a colored filter to me. I think I'll just keep on the lookout for the Baader filter.

Flying dinosaur
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Flying dinosaur »

Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in reading this basically converts a 40mm objective to a 90mm objective, giving much better resolution and “simply” moves the etalon further back in the light path? If so, what a neat idea! I had heard that some of the solar scope manufacturers were doing something like this…but had no clue folks were trying that on their own.

StarryDave
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by StarryDave »

The AOKswiss website http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/pst.html states that

A simple way to protect the filter is to use a good normal red filter with 48 mm thread (as for a 2" eyepiece). This works up to max. 4" scopes and f : 10 (mounting on the adapter).

I think this means that you may be able to use the Lumicon if your objective is smaller than 4".

I have been using my mod with the Baader filter for a few months now and it seems to work fine with no problems. You can see some of my solar animations I made with it here : http://starrydave.com/?page_id=1330

Dave
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Mrural wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm Thanks for the reply - looks like a colored filter to me. I think I'll just keep on the lookout for the Baader filter.
Sounds sensible to me

StarryDave
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by StarryDave »

Flying dinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 pm Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in reading this basically converts a 40mm objective to a 90mm objective, giving much better resolution and “simply” moves the etalon further back in the light path? If so, what a neat idea! I had heard that some of the solar scope manufacturers were doing something like this…but had no clue folks were trying that on their own.
That's the idea. I removed the stock 40mm objective and replaced it with a 90mm f10 OTA. I now have a 90mm f10 h-alpha scope that cost less than £1000. Also, my design means that the PST and donor scope are undamaged and can be easily restored to their original condition.

Dave