Telecentric Barlow or focal extender?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Telecentric Barlow or focal extender?

Post by TareqPhoto »

Just want to ask this now so i can get ready for future plan to purchase something, i want to get ready maybe next year so i have the answer and decision when i get the budget.

For doing planetary and solar, which one is good to have and use between the two [not sure which one is more important for me as i can't afford both]?

1. Baader Telecentric System TZ-4

2. Tele-Vue Powermate 4x

I do have good and nice seeing in my area to allow me go that high magnification, i do have Powermate 5x when needed and it is nice for planetary and i am trying to use it for solar now with Quark and see, but maybe sometimes i need to go less magnification so 4x is maybe maximum one i should use, now if i will do both solar and planetary which one of above to choose with best quality?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Telecentric Barlow or focal extender?

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq,

No such thing as a free lunch with solar.

Baader Telecentric, perfectly telecentric for solar and shows high strehl at the chosen wavelengths, but will show chromatic aberation at others.

TeleVue Powermate, no chromatic aberation for planetary but not a true telecentric for solar.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:19 am Hi Tareq,

No such thing as a free lunch with solar.

Baader Telecentric, perfectly telecentric for solar and shows high strehl at the chosen wavelengths, but will show chromatic aberation at others.

TeleVue Powermate, no chromatic aberation for planetary but not a true telecentric for solar.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your clear answer.

Well, i wish if you didn't answer, you didn't help it, so complicated now, kind of either i buy both or none as i can't afford both together :D :mrgreen: :(

pupak
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by pupak »

I have both and I don't really use the TZ4. The TV4x is much more versatile for DSII with Quark and LS40.
With more backfocus, it's more like TV4.5x.
Petr

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

pupak wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:28 pm I have both and I don't really use the TZ4. The TV4x is much more versatile for DSII with Quark and LS40.
With more backfocus, it's more like TV4.5x.
Petr
I have to decide which one i will do more, planetary or solar, for now i think solar will take my time more until i can afford big scope maybe 20" for planetary then Powermate 4x will be more appealing, so either i buy it, or wait to see situations, or just take the bait and sacrifice my budget and buy both, first TZ4 now and later when i get the scope then TV4x, decision decision.....

Tareq

pupak

Post by pupak »

Personally, I was not very impressed by the TZ4. With the IMX432 tilted, it already vignetting and has noticeably less light compared to the TV4x. TZ3 is a different coffee. That one is great, but I really don't like the TZ4.
Petr

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

pupak wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:18 pm Personally, I was not very impressed by the TZ4. With the IMX432 tilted, it already vignetting and has noticeably less light compared to the TV4x. TZ3 is a different coffee. That one is great, but I really don't like the TZ4.
Petr
So in this case i have like 3 plans if i can make them all or some of them:

1. Wait to afford buying Quark Chromosphere the standard one for DS so it has already 4.2x built in, which means TZ4 is out.
2. If i do above then definitely buy Powermate 4x to be used for planetary.
3. Sell my Tele Vue 3x Barlow and buy TZ3 as long it is better than TZ4 so then i can have more use of TZ3, i don't use TV3x at all, i bought it only because of price.

Good i asked and you answered, you saved me by this, now it is clear for me what i should do step by step if possible, thank you very much Petr.

Tareq

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:13 pm 1. Wait to afford buying Quark Chromosphere the standard one for DS so it has already 4.2x built in, which means TZ4 is out.
You can't double stack 2 Quarks Tareq, it won't work! Slow down and understand the one Quark first.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:35 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:13 pm 1. Wait to afford buying Quark Chromosphere the standard one for DS so it has already 4.2x built in, which means TZ4 is out.
You can't double stack 2 Quarks Tareq, it won't work! Slow down and understand the one Quark first.
I will not double stack until i know single stack first for sure, i just saw someone double stacked with two Quarks, but i won't go that route until i am good with one Quark first, i might go with Lunt DS if i can afford that, but i put options according to Telecentric Barlow, as if i can double stack two Quarks then i will get one with internal Barlow then, all just plans and questions and discussions, and good you told me it won't work so to see why and if that person did something then.

pupak

Post by pupak »

With the Baader TZ, the focal plane is fixed and must be adhered to (200-240mm). With TV, there is a fairly significant change in the multiplying factor depending on the back focus. I solve this by unscrewing the top part of the TV4x and connecting it via the coupling that contains the blocking fitr to the Quark. This significantly shortens the Back focus and the multiplier is approx. 4.5x. Without the DSII, the LS40 would be smaller. Telecentricity will remain. It can be seen in the picture.
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (468.92 KiB) Viewed 787 times

pupak

Post by pupak »

I have never been able to implement a DSII with two Quarks. Most quarks have such a large attenuation on H-a that two will let little light through. You should have some selected with very little attenuation. Sometimes one of these appears. I have one, but I haven't been able to find another one.
Maybe it would be enough to remove the red filter inside the etalon and the attenuation would decrease. Someone is said to have successfully implemented it, but I don't dare to do it.
Maybe someone in the know will comment on it.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TareqPhoto wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:59 am I will not double stack until i know single stack first for sure, i just saw someone double stacked with two Quarks,
Double stacking Quarks doesn't work Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

pupak wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:16 am With the Baader TZ, the focal plane is fixed and must be adhered to (200-240mm). With TV, there is a fairly significant change in the multiplying factor depending on the back focus. I solve this by unscrewing the top part of the TV4x and connecting it via the coupling that contains the blocking fitr to the Quark. This significantly shortens the Back focus and the multiplier is approx. 4.5x. Without the DSII, the LS40 would be smaller. Telecentricity will remain. It can be seen in the picture.
Nice you posted the picture, it will help me or give me the idea how to make it, i will try again and reset my setup and give it a go, thank you

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

pupak wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am I have never been able to implement a DSII with two Quarks. Most quarks have such a large attenuation on H-a that two will let little light through. You should have some selected with very little attenuation. Sometimes one of these appears. I have one, but I haven't been able to find another one.
Maybe it would be enough to remove the red filter inside the etalon and the attenuation would decrease. Someone is said to have successfully implemented it, but I don't dare to do it.
I believe Lunt and Conorado are the only best products for DS then, i should just forget about DS the Quark, maybe the Quark with PTS or Lunt but not two Quarks.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:58 pm
TareqPhoto wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:59 am I will not double stack until i know single stack first for sure, i just saw someone double stacked with two Quarks,
Double stacking Quarks doesn't work Tareq
Clear and a loud, i won't do it :)

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

pupak wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am I have never been able to implement a DSII with two Quarks. Most quarks have such a large attenuation on H-a that two will let little light through. You should have some selected with very little attenuation. Sometimes one of these appears. I have one, but I haven't been able to find another one.

the main attenuation happens in the 2 polarizers in the etalon stack. i know only one person who removed them for to use the quark in ds mode. no idea how it would perform in single stack mode. of course this cant be used visually anymore.

Triband C9.25

H-a: 1-2 Lunt40 rear mounted

WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm

Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo), corrective lenses (thanks again Apollo)

Cameras: imx432 + imx462
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
pupak

Post by pupak »

Dennis wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:09 am the main attenuation happens in the 2 polarizers in the etalon stack. i know only one person who removed them for to use the quark in ds mode. no idea how it would perform in single stack mode. of course this cant be used visually anymore.
Do you have a link or contact for this person? I would love to do a DSII with two Quarks, but without the necessary knowledge it would probably be a double murder of a Quark. :)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

pupak wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 am it would probably be a double murder of a Quark. :)
Yes, it will.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

pupak wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 am
Dennis wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:09 am the main attenuation happens in the 2 polarizers in the etalon stack. i know only one person who removed them for to use the quark in ds mode. no idea how it would perform in single stack mode. of course this cant be used visually anymore.
Do you have a link or contact for this person? I would love to do a DSII with two Quarks, but without the necessary knowledge it would probably be a double murder of a Quark. :)
i can mail you the infos and contact once im back from vaccations, next weekend.

Triband C9.25

H-a: 1-2 Lunt40 rear mounted

WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm

Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo), corrective lenses (thanks again Apollo)

Cameras: imx432 + imx462
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
pupak

Post by pupak »

I look forward to.
Petr